Laura wants high academic achievement in all schools, not just a few. She will evaluate policies and practices to ensure that they are improving student outcomes and that resources are being allocated accordingly. Shifting resources to the programs or practices with the greatest evidence of effectiveness can maximize students’ chances of success.
Improving student achievement, however, does not necessarily mean spending more on education. In fact, there are tremendous efficiencies to be achieved by serving students well at the outset and each step along with their school career.
I believe that a mentoring program helps struggling high school students reach graduation day. I had the opportunity to develop a mentoring program at my foundation Alcanzando Metas ("Reaching goals") Foundation.
Mentoring is a powerful personal development and empowerment tool. It is an effective way of helping people to progress in their careers and is becoming increasing popular as its potential is realized. It is a partnership between two people (mentor and mentee). It is a helpful relationship based on mutual trust and respect.
Mentorship Program Ideas:
1. Academic• Resume writing • Essay writing • Bi-monthly academic review on school, work, program • Business professionals book suggestions • Financial Aid • Scholarship Opportunities • University/College admission application • PSAT/SAT
2. Professional • Networking Events (HPWA and other Organizations) • Dress to impress • Etiquette workshops • Public speaking • Written communication • Mentor career history
3. Career paths available • Campus visits • Office visits • Interview prep • Career goals • Strategic Planning • Mentor career advise • Job and internship search
4. Entertainment • College game day • Movie night • Bingo night • Field day • Thanksgiving Dinner • Christmas Party
5. Other • Community service • Personal goals.
In FCPS, mentoring occurs at the student’s school site during the school day. Typically, mentors meet with students every week for at least 30 minutes. We ask that mentors commit to at least one school year (though new mentors can be onboarded at any point during the school year).
Sign up to hear from us about specials, sales, and events.